Why is important to look left and right before crossing the road?
Some roads are different. Traffic can also move only in one direction – these are called one-way streets. That’s why we should always look both ways before crossing.
Does the Green Cross Code still exist?
The Green Cross Code is a brand created by the National Road Safety Committee (now the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, RoSPA) to raise awareness of pedestrian road safety in the United Kingdom. The multimedia Green Cross Code campaign began in 1970 and continues today.
What are the rules of the Green Cross Code?
How do you use the Green Cross Code?
- Find the safest place to cross.
- Stop before you reach the kerb.
- Look and listen for traffic.
- Let any traffic pass.
- Cross the road when it’s safe, walking rather than running.
What is the Green Cross Code English?
noun. A set of guidelines (intended especially for children) for crossing the road safely, introduced in 1971 and subsequently incorporated in the Highway Code; also in extended use.
Why it is advised to look to the right when we cross the road?
Look on both sides – As people tend to drive on the wrong side of the road, no guarantee looking at the opposite side of the way before crossing will keep you safe.
What is the first thing you must do before you cross the road?
Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing.
Was Darth Vader the Green Cross Code man?
The ‘Green Cross Code Man’ was famously played by Dave Prowse, the man who later starred as Darth Vader in the original Star Wars movies. Designed to bring the Green Cross Code “to life”, Prowse a 6’7″ tall, body builder and former Mr Universe became the road safety superhero character for 14 years.
How do I teach my child the Green Cross Code?
Teach your child to:
- always use the Green Cross Code.
- wait at the kerb by the crossing so that drivers know they want to cross.
- at a signal crossing, press the button and wait for the green man to light up and never walk out while the red man is showing, even if the cars have stopped or other people are crossing.
Which way do you look before crossing the road?
Look to the left first because traffic will be closer to you on that side. Then, look to the right to see if any vehicles are coming. Finally, check left again right before you cross to make sure the road is clear. If you think you might see something coming, stop and wait to see if it’s anything to worry about.
What are the 6 steps of the Green Cross Code?
To be safe on the road you need to use the Green Cross Code.
- Look and listen.
- Look and listen again.
- Arrive alive.
When crossing a road which way do you look?
Follow the safe road crossing procedure – STOP, LOOK, LISTEN and THINK.
- STOP one step back from the kerb or shoulder of the road if there is no footpath.
- LOOK in all directions for approaching traffic.
- LISTEN in all directions for approaching traffic.