Three United Nations agencies have said that almost 80 percent of the Children in Yemen need immediate humanitarian assistance.
The UN has made the statement amidst a time when the country’s healthcare system has collapsed amidst a ranging civil war in the nation which has last for almost more than two years.
The heads of the World Health Organization, UNICEF, and World Food Program released a joint statement on Wednesday saying at around 2 million Yemeni children are malnourished which makes then highly vulnerable for diseases like cholera.
Reports stat that Yemen is currently facing the world’s worst cholera outbreak in years, with thousands of children dying in the country due to the disease.
The UN health and child welfare agencies have called on the international community to assist in helping these children and to intensify their support for the people of Yemen who are living in dire circumstances, without proper medical care.
A two-year Saudi-led campaign against Yemen’s Shiite Houthi rebels has damaged infrastructure and caused medicine shortages in the Arab world’s poorest country.
The civil war in the country has ended up taking more than 10,000 civilian lives and has displaced at least three million people. The war has also pushed the nation to the brink of famine.
The executive director of UNICEF, Anthony Lake, and the director-general of the World Health Organisation (WHO) last month had said that “more than 1,300 people have died — one quarter of them children — and the death toll is expected to rise.”
The international health authorities said that they suspect that more deaths because of the disease the country now has more than 200,000 cases of Cholera it is struggling with and the number of the cases are growing rapidly, and estimate of nearly 5,000 cases per day.
Source: NY Dailynews