Is neurology and neurotology the same?

Neurotology / otoneurology / neuro-otology is a branch of medical science which studies and treats neurological disorders of the ear. It is a subspecialty of both otolaryngology – head and neck surgery as well as neurology.

What does a Neurotologist treat?

What is a neurotologist? Otologists, also known as neurotologists, are ENT doctors who sub-specialize in complex problems of the inner ear, auditory nerve and base of the skull. They’ve received additional training to specialize in this area.

How many Neurotologists are there in the US?

According to the 2013 estimate by Vrabec, there were approximately 323 neurotologists practicing within the United States (1), and comparison of the results of this current analysis suggest an approximately 49.2% increase in the number of practicing otology-neurotology physician-surgeons from 2013 to this 2020 estimate …

Can a neurologist help with Meniere’s disease?

Meniere’s disease may also require bed rest and diuretic medications in addition to VBAs. Ultimately, once your neurologist has diagnosed the cause of your vertigo, they will provide you with a customized treatment plan to alleviate your symptoms.

What is the study of neurotology?

Neurotology is a division of Otology that not only deals with the ear but also those portions of the brain that are important for hearing and balance. Neurotology bridges the gap between otology and neurosurgery.

What is the difference between otolaryngology and otology?

Also known as ear-nose-throat doctors, or ENTs, otolaryngologists treat everything from chronic sinus infections to life-threatening cancers. Otologists are ear specialists, within the field of otolaryngology.

What test confirms Ménière’s disease?

A test called an electronystagmogram (ENG), which measures your eye movements. This can help the doctor find where the problem is that’s causing vertigo. Imaging tests such as an MRI or CT scan of the head. These tests can find out if the symptoms are caused by a brain problem.

Who treats tinnitus?

After you’ve been diagnosed with tinnitus, you may need to see an ear, nose and throat doctor (otolaryngologist). You may also need to work with a hearing expert (audiologist).